4/23/10

Dogs...

So when I was little I had a black chow, his name was Bear. I loved that dog. We shared a lot together in his 7 years with me. I started school, we moved, I got a new little brother (and Bear got a new little annoyance!), we moved again, and then his life was cut short by some ass who didn't know how to keep a car on the road and ran into my yard while me and my dog were playing and hit my dog. I was so devastated, I had known this dog since I was 4 and here I was getting ready to start middle school and someone robbed me of my best friend. Needless to say I decided against any more pets for a long time. Then enter the Mr. and I deciding to co-habitate. I decided that we just had to have a pet and oh look an adoption fair. Lets go look, I promise all I want to do is look. God, that man was a sucker! Anyway, I went and I found the cutest lil pup I could and I took him home.


Of course, at the time home was with my mom who had no idea I would be coming home with an animal. Surprise! We made it through that first night of whining and pooping and being utterly disgusted by the poop (him and me). We bonded that first night, me and Chip. (That's his name BTW and I have no idea where I got it from.) In those first few weeks we survived worms, ear mites, and whip worms (a particularly nasty parasite that greatly mimics parvo, I was terrified for my little guy). And for this reason, I think, there has always been a stronger connection between Chip and I than Chip and the Mr. So after a few months of happily living together the Mr. petitioned for his own pet. So I went to our local animal shelter and looked through the kennels and it was heartbreaking. And in one of the last kennels I found this little beauty.
This is Panda and she is the smartest dog I think I have ever met. She is also incredibly opinionated and she has a very complex personality. And the Mr. and I fell for her, hard. She has grown into a really cool dog and while I sometimes fantasize about a Chip free home (especially when he takes it upon himself to mark EVERYTHING in sight) I don't think I could imagine a life without Panda. Since this is a dog post I figure I should include the newest addition. Since the Mr. and I are lazy dog parents and we kinda slacked off in the whole spay and neuter thing... we got a Runt. Now I know that name sounds terribly mean, but it was her nickname when she was born because she was, well, the runt. And we called her that for so long that when we ended up keeping her, we couldn't think of anything else. So without further ado, Runt.And I promise that is it. We don't have any more! Sometimes it feels like a zoo around here and while we sometimes jokingly threaten to get rid of them, we never would. We love them too much. After all, they are our first born, our fur babies. And life just wouldn't be the same without them.

The Mrs.

No comments: